There’s no telling how high the temperature will go here in Dayton, OH, during the summer months. When it’s time to fire up your air conditioner, are you sure it will deliver? Call Ed Rike Plumbing, Heating & Air for expert AC maintenance to make sure you and your family will be cool and comfortable all summer long.
Get all of the benefits of a central AC system with a ductless mini-split AC. Call to find out how.
When to Call an Air Conditioning Repair Service
As the temperatures begin to increase in Dayton, residents start up their air conditioners to stay comfortable. However, for some, their air conditioner isn’t ready to deliver. Here’s how to know your AC needs a little TC and when you need to call in a pro for help.
- Warm Air – If you feel warm air blowing out of your home’s vents, check the thermostat and make sure it’s set to cool mode. If the unit still blows warm air, it may be an issue with the compressor.
- Weak Airflow – Weak airflow is the most common symptom of an AC that isn’t working correctly. It could be a blockage that’s to blame or something more serious like a broken motor.
- Frequent Cycling – Your AC should go through regular cooling cycles regardless of the temperature. And while frequent cycling signifies a problem while you can expect the unit to cycle more frequently during summer.
- Moisture Leaks – If you see moisture around your AC unit, it could be a refrigerant leak or a clogged condensate line.
If you notice these or any other issues with your air conditioner, call Ed Rike Plumbing, Heating & Air for help.
How to Maintain Your Air Conditioner
Your air conditioner is like any other machine; it requires routine maintenance to keep it running efficiently and to avoid costly repairs. Here are a few tips to keeping your AC in tip-top shape.
- Change or clean the filters at least once a month
- Clean the air conditioner coils
- Check the coil fins and straighten any that are bent
- Check the condensate drain for clogs
- Call a professional and ask about their AC maintenance service
Make sure your Dayton home is ready for winter with our heating services.
Repairing vs. Replacing an AC
Most Dayton, OH, homeowners would rather repair a failing AC unit than spring for a new one; however, it sometimes makes it more economical to install a new unit.
If your air conditioner is over 15 years old, you’re better off putting your money towards a new, higher efficiency unit. Also, if the repairs to the system are getting more frequent, get a new system. Lastly, if the cost of the repair is 50% or more than the cost of a new system, purchasing a new AC makes more sense.